TOTAL COOKING TIME: 2-hours
TOTAL PREP TIME: 1hour 10mins
Puff pastry for the top of the pie (buy at the supermarket)
400g beef steak
150g smoked bacon
3 cloves of garlic
2 tbsp mustard seeds
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp butter
2 tbsp flour
200ml beef broth
1 stock cube
3 tbsp beef broth
1 tsp Himalayan salt
1. Follow the instructions for the puff pastry on the packet. Prepare the shortcrust pastry. Sieve the flour into a bowl and add the salt. Dice the butter and add to the flour. Use your fingers to combine the flour and butter making breadcrumbs. Add the tablespoons of broth, and knead the breadcrumbs together to make a dough. If you need more broth, then add a little at a time. Leave the pasty standing for 30-minutes
2. Make the pie mix by adding the beef to a pan with the olive oil. Heat on medium to slowly cook the beef. Add the bacon. Turning the beef and bacon all the time until they become partially cooked. Then add the onion and garlic. Turn the heat down and allow the beef and bacon to cook on low with the garlic and onion.
3. Make the gravy (make sure your beef broth has been heated so that it is a liquid, not a jelly). In a separate saucepan, melt the butter and then remove from the heat instantly. Add the flour and stir it into the butter. It will be lumpy. Slowly add the broth, stirring all the time. The butter and flour mix will become smooth and thick. Add the broth to the consistency you like for gravy. Then pour the gravy mix into the pie mix.
4. Add the stock cube in the pie and gravy mix, as well as the mustard seeds and continue to stir. Allow to simmer for a further 10-minutes.
5. Go back to the pastry and lay out some flour on the kitchen side-bench. Then put your rolled up dough onto the flour. Using a rolling pin, flatten the dough to the depth of your desire, then cut out your pies. If you have too much pastry, then roll back up again into the dough and flatten. Add the pies to foil bases on a baking tray. Press the sides so that the pastry fills the sides of the foil base.
6. Spoon in the pie mix and fill right to the top.
7. Using your puff pastry, roll out the pastry over fresh flour on the kitchen side. Again roll out to the depth you desire. Cut out the tops and add to the top of your pies making sure you press the sides together. Prick some holes in the top of your pies and bake in the oven for 45-55minutes on 180 degrees.
Serve with vegetables.