Bone Broth Turkey Biryani
This delicious recipe is not something I’d usually cook, mostly because it took longer than I like to take with my meals, but I was very pleased with the way it came out.
A couple of good hacks with this recipe include buying a turkey leg from Asda or Tesco. The turkey legs usually come in a vacuum pack and cost much less than you’d pay for other meats. The best way to good this turkey is in the slow cooker on a low heat for about 8 hours.
Cut two potatoes in half and place them at the bottom of the slow cooker, then add some water covering halfway up to the potatoes. Spread them out so that the turkey can sit on top of the potatoes. Don’t let the turkey touch the water. As the turkey cooks in the slow cooker, it will absorb the water. When you take the turkey out of the slow cooker, the meat will fall off the bone. Be careful to make sure you remove all the cartilage.
TOTAL COOKING TIME: 50minutes
Preparation – 20 minutes
Cooking time – 30 minutes
75g of quinoa
100g of brown rice
500ml of Boil and Broth beef bone broth
3 onions chopped
4 crushed garlic cloves
2 tablespoons ginger root chopped
2 tablespoons of butter
1 small tub of plain yoghurt
1 tsp crushed cardamon pods
1 tsp garam masala
1 cinnamon stick
1/2 tsp of chilli powder
1 tsp of ground coriander
1/2 tsp of turmeric
1 tsp of cumin
1 tsp of salt
Can of chopped tomatoes
- Make sure your turkey has been cooked in the slow cooker before. See above.
- In two separate saucepans, cook rice and quinoa.
- In a wok or frying pan heat the tablespoons of butter. Add the onion, garlic and ginger. Cooked until browned.
- Turn the heat down and add the can of tomatoes, chilli, coriander, turmeric, cumin and salt.
- Turn to medium heat and stir frequently until the tomato boils. Turn the heat down and cover with a lid for five minutes.
- After five minutes add the yoghurt, basil, ground cardamom, garam masala and cinnamon stick. Stir and cover with the lid until the sauce thickens.Take the turkey out of the slow cooker and remove, skin and bones. Leave to one side.
- Heat up the bone broth in a pan on the stove until boiling. Once boiling turn the heat off.
- Stir in the turkey to the thick sauce and add the quinoa and rice to the sauce mix. Using the bone broth, pour into the sauce mix slowly and stir. Leave the lid on and let it simmer on a low heat for a further 5 minutes.Serve in bowls. Garnish with fresh basil or coriander leaves (optional)